Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dad's Health Update

Hi Gang,
After talking with the Doctor and Nurses this week I'm going to try to give you an idea what my present cancer program consists of. In doing this I will not "dot" all the "i's" or "cross" all the "t's" but will try to make it as simple as possible.
First of all I will go thru 3 Series of chemo treatment. Each series will consist of 3 chemo treatment. My first series was completed on 4/6 thru 4/8. My 2nd series is being done this week, 4/26 thru 4/28. Assuming everything goes OK my third series will be done from 5/17 thru 5/19.
Before and after each series of tests they take a blood test. This shows them my white cell count before the treatment and the cell count after the treatments. Chemo kills the bad cancer cells but it also kills some good cells. Based on the cell count after the treatment they give me a shot in the arm to try to re-adjust to the proper count.
After the 3rd series in May they will give me a CT Scan to determine if the cancer has gone into remission or is there still "active" areas. IF there are still "active" areas I will probably go thru 3 more Series of treatment which would take me into early July for the next CT Scan.
IF the CT SCan shows the cancer has gone into remission than they will stop treatment until they repeat a CT Scan in 3 to 6 months. How great would that be.
IF the CT Scan shows remission in May that would mean Kathy and I could sell the house asap and move to Myrtle beach, which is what i would want to do. Otherwise we will be looking at late July /August.
I would get all future treatments in Myrtle.
I hope this help you all understand the program a little better but should you have any question just e-mail or pick up the phone. This may not be 100% correct but it's close enough.
Love you all, Dad